Thursday, December 13, 2007

Scammer... Beware!

I've been expecting a delivery of comforter set which I ordered online two weeks ago. While talking to my mom upstairs I saw the UPS driver heading to our porch. Surprisingly, what I got was a check containing my name as the payee with the amount of $1,970. I really don't have any idea why I got this money. Then I checked my email and found a detailed instructions on what to do with it. They offered 10% commission by simply encashing it and send the money to London thru money wire transfer. The message explained where the company got my info since I've been applying jobs online. Oh my gosh! I knew it right away I would be in real trouble if I would do business transaction with them. These days we have to be aware of scammer. With the latest technology and internet usage by the majority, they are taking advantage of people by their quick money scam online. Or in my case this is just another of the Advance Fee Frauds, a counterfeit check cashing scam. They'll mail fake checks to you, you deposit them in your bank account and then send them a money gram BEFORE the checks clear the bank. The bank will cash them and then hold you responsible when the fake is discovered weeks later. There is no legitimate company in the world (with ANY sense) that would use a free Yahoo email account as their contact email. Anyone can get a free email account like that.

As an advice NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.) online. Beware if scammers, there's a lot out there.

No comments: