Sunday, April 27, 2008

Making Sense of Autism

I have read an article about an increase in the diagnosis of autism in children nowadays compared to the last decade. Earlier reports estimated only 1 child in 1,000 had autism. Now, it's 6 in 1,000. This higher frequency is alarming. Now I'm scared for my future child. Although I plan to have a baby two or three years from now, I'm concerned about my age and I hope it has nothing to do with it. For those who just gave birth, doctors recommend parents to learn about the normal growth and development of a child so they'll have the idea whether the child is on the right track. Make sure to have routine check-ups so the doctor could monitor the child's normal development especially when they reach 18-24 months old. Autism screening should be done by this specific age range. The sooner autism is diagnosed or the sooner the treatment begun, the better a child will do in the long run.

No comments: